As one of Wisconsin’s most popular vacation destinations, Door County is worthy of a spot on any traveler’s bucket list! With incredible state parks to explore, unique restaurants, incredible shopping, and one-of-a-kind outdoor adventures, you’ll want to come back to experience a Door County vacation again and again. Of course, planning in advance is very important when it comes to vacations. Luckily for you, we have put together a list of must do’s that you won’t want to miss!
If a Door County vacation is in your future, you won’t want to be without our free Vacation Guide! This handy planning tool will help you find all of the best things to see and do in Door County based on your own unique interests. Download yours for free today!
5 of the Most Fun Things to Do on a Door County Vacation
Explore the State Parks
Door County is home to many beautiful state parks and nature preserves. Within the parks, you’ll be able to view Door County points of interest that have made the peninsula famous! Hike along the trails and come face to face with many fascinating natural structures and local creatures. Here are just a few of our personal favorite parks that we’re sure you’ll love as well:
- Newport State Park: As Wisconsin’s only formally designated wilderness park, Newport is an ideal destination for nature watching. It is also a popular water sport, hiking, and fishing spot.
- Peninsula State Park: This pristine land is noted as Wisconsin’s most complete park and one of the largest Door County points of interest. It includes over 468 campsites, a summer theater, an 18-hole golf course, sand beach, bike trails, and much more!
- Whitefish Dunes State Park: Whitefish Dunes is a day-use park that protects the fragile dune environment. Here, you can stroll along the boardwalk, watch waterfowl birds, discover lively wetlands, and experience year-round programs.
Indulge at a Local Restaurant
Food is a cornerstone of the Door County culture! There are many delicious local restaurants to choose from, each boasting its own style and flavors! Just to narrow it down for you, here are a couple of the most popular choices near The Ashbrooke hotel:
- Chop: For some of the finest steaks and seafood in Door County, we highly recommend Chop! Only the highest-quality ingredients are used to create delightful dishes including New York Strip, grilled salmon, and beef burgundy tips.
- Alexander’s of Door County: For the cherry on top of a romantic evening, or as a special treat to yourself, Alexander’s provides contemporary cuisine and fine dining year-round. They specialize in seafood, hand-cut steaks, and original creations that are all made with only the finest ingredients.
Attend One of the Many Door County Events
Here in Door County, we love to celebrate! No matter what time of year you visit, there are always fun and festive events to attend! Take a look at some of the most highly-anticipated annual events that you’ll want to add to your itinerary immediately:
- Door County Fair: Once the end of summer draws near, the community puts on one last mid-year celebration with the Door County Fair. You’ll love the classic carnival rides, meet and greets with farm animals, incredible concerts, and more!
- Marina Fest: This community favorite pays tribute to Sister Bay Marina with live music, endless food, a fireworks shows, and exciting carnival rides.
- Sister Bay Fall Fest: Known as the grandfather of autumn events, the Sister Bay Fall Festival has grown to become one of the largest weekend events on the peninsula.
- Door County Beer Festival: This fun-filled annual event celebrates the art of craft beer with exciting activities and, of course, plenty of beer to go around.
Visit a Local Winery or Brewery
Door County considers the crafting of fine wines and beers an art form! Many of the ingredients come straight from our own soil, making for a one-of-a-kind taste you won’t find anywhere else. During your stay, don’t forget to stop by these incredible wineries and breweries:
- Stone’s Throw Winery: Perfect for those who crave traditional tastes, Stone’s Throw Winery uses only the finest California grapes to make their elegant selections.
- Harbor Ridge Winery: Despite being one of the county’s newest wineries, Harbor Ridge has already established itself as one of the best in Door County! They craft an array of red, white, and fruit wines using only the finest ingredients.
- Door County Brewery: This family-owned business has provided the Door County community with tasty craft beers for many years. The brewery is housed in a renovated barn and is a great place to relax with your friends.
Enjoy a Theatrical Performance
The artistic culture of Door County has fostered a thriving theater community, especially during the summer season. Attending a performance is the perfect addition to a date night or exciting evening out! Here are just some of Door County’s most unique theaters:
- Northern Sky Theater: This summertime theater makes it their mission to create, develop and present professional musical and dramatic productions that will further the appreciation of the United States’ culture.
- Peninsula Players: This unique and captivating company is America’s oldest running summer theater and boasts a history as fascinating as the shows they produce.
- Door Shakespeare: With a professional, talented company and a beautiful theater, Door Shakespeare is a wonderful place to unwind and enjoy a classic show that you’ll always remember.
Experience a Memorable Door County Vacation During Your Stay at The Ashbrooke
As one of the only adults-only hotels on the peninsula, The Ashbrooke is the perfect place for a much-needed getaway! Our highly-appointed rooms and suites are designed with your comfort in mind and boast all the amenities you’d expect from a luxury resort. Some of our rooms even include an in-room whirlpool tub for extra luxury and relaxation.Our prime location in the heart of Door County also places you just minutes from all the best Egg Harbor restaurants and attractions you’ll want to experience. Come and see for yourself why so many of our guests return again and again!
Photo Credit: Bill Chizek/Getty Images