Door County is one of Wisconsin’s most beloved vacation destinations, and for more reasons than just the beautiful scenery. With its wide variety of unique activities, exquisite dining, and exciting events, Door County boasts a nearly neverending list of things to do during your vacation. The real question is, “When is the best time to visit Door County?” Based on the weather and number of activities available, our answer is during the summer and early fall! If you’re planning a visit to the peninsula soon, here are some of the best things to do in Door County during these fun-filled seasons.
During your getaway in Door County, you won’t want to be without our complimentary Vacation Guide to the area. It’s filled with only the best recommendations for local activities and attractions during the best time to visit Door County including local parks, tours, dining, entertainment, annual events, and much more. With this handy guide in hand, you can spend less time planning your vacation and more actually enjoying it!
3 Things to Do in Door County During the Summer
1. Unwind on the Beaches
Door County is home to over 53 public beaches, each boasting its own unique features! Whether you spend the day swimming, soaking in the sun, or enjoying a romantic waterside picnic, a visit to one of these beaches is a must for your Door County summer itinerary. Here are just a couple of our personal favorites that we’re sure you’ll love just as much as we do.
- Schoolhouse Beach: This shoreline is one out of only five beaches in the world to have limestone sand. It was also recently rated as the most romantic spot in Wisconsin by Travel + Leisure.
- Egg Harbor Beach: Located just a short distance from our Door County hotel, Egg Harbor Beach is one of the peninsula’s most popular waterfronts. You’ll enjoy a wide array of amenities including restrooms, outdoor showers, a pavilion, and more.
2. Visit Door County Parks
Several incredible state parks and nature preserves are scattered throughout Door County, creating numerous opportunities for a full day of exploration and outdoor activities. Whether you choose to hike along the trails, observe the local wildlife, or spend some time on the water, boredom is never an option! Take a look at just a few of the most popular parks that our previous guests have raved over.
- Newport State Park: As Wisconsin’s only formally designated wilderness park, Newport is an ideal destination for nature watching. It is also a popular water sport, hiking, and fishing spot.
- Peninsula State Park: This pristine land is noted as Wisconsin’s most complete park and one of the largest Door County points of interest. It includes over 468 campsites, a summer theater, an 18-hole golf course, sand beach, bike trails, and much more!
- Whitefish Dunes State Park: Whitefish Dunes is a day-use park that protects the fragile dune environment. Here, you can stroll along the boardwalk, watch waterfowl birds, discover lively wetlands, and experience year-round programs.
3. Enjoy an Evening at the Theater
If you foster a deep appreciation for the performing arts, then the best time to visit Door County is definitely the summer season. This time of year, many of Door County’s theaters open their doors to visitors and locals alike for spectacular performances that will leave you completely dazzled. Many of these theaters are held in outdoor amphitheaters and auditoriums, giving you the opportunity to enjoy a wonderful show underneath the stars. Here’s a quick look at some of our area’s top summer theaters!
- Door Shakespeare: Each summer, Door Shakespeare brings your classic favorites to life in their beautiful outdoor venue. They strive to bring visitors and exciting lineup of Shakespeare’s best masterpieces and works from other classic playwrights.
- Northern Sky Theater: This professional Door County theater is truly unlike any other! They create, develop, and produce all their own musicals based on the populist culture and heritage of the United States. Many of their plays are set right in Door County and are written with laugh-out-loud humor and tenderness.
- Peninsula Players: This theater in Fish Creek is a seasonal lakeside theater and also America’s oldest resident summer theater. Its history and captivating plays have attracted visitors for nearly 85 years, and we’re sure you’ll be just as amazed!
2 Things to Do in Door County During the Fall
1. Admire the Beautiful Fall Colors
If you’re looking for a destination rich in vibrant fall colors and seasonal festivities, you’ll hardly do better than Door County, WI. The air is crisp and invigorating and the weather is bright and welcoming, making it the perfect time of year to sit outside a local cafe while enjoying the gorgeous scenery. Here are other awesome ways to view the fall colors in Door County!
- Potawatomi State Park Observation Tower: After a quick trek down the Ice Age National Scenic Trail, visitors to Potawatomi State Park can climb the 75-foot observation tower and take in awe-inspiring views of Green Bay and the fall foliage.
- Door County Trolley Tour: This journey takes you to breathtaking vistas and bluffs overlooking the islands, providing jaw-dropping views of the autumn scenery. Don’t forget to take advantage of our “First Time in Door County” package to receive two free tickets for this trolley tour!
2. Attend the Fall Festivals
If you’re hoping to attend some incredible events during your time in Door County, then you better be here during the fall! The peninsula hosts a variety of fun-filled fall festivals that celebrate the beauty of the season and Door County’s vibrant culture. Here are some popular fall events that you’ll want to mark into your calendars immediately.
- Sister Bay Marina Fest: Now in its 25th year, the Sister Bay Marina Fest continues to be one of the county’s favorite end-of-summer events. With live entertainment, an abundance of food and beverages, fireworks, and a water ski show by The Waterboard Warriors, there are plenty of ways to have fun and make lifelong memories at this weekend event.
- Sister Bay Fall Fest: Known as the “Grandaddy” of all Door County Festivals, the Sister Bay Fall Fest is a very popular fall event. It will be celebrating its 72nd year with a classic car show, arts and crafts, a fun parade, and the famous Ping Pong Ball Drop!
- Pumpkin Patch Festival: This carnival that celebrates the true autumn spirit! Unleash your inner child on the carnival rides, browse the creative pumpkin and scarecrow displays, be wowed by a roaming magician, or participate in a silent auction! It’s a weekend full of great food, fun, and autumn harmony.
Need a Place to Stay? We Invite You to Experience The Ashbrooke
Located in the heart of Door County, our adults-only hotel is the perfect place to stay for all of your favorite summer and fall events. In addition to our convenient location, guests will also enjoy comfortable guest rooms and suites, unique amenities like an indoor pool, and access to exclusive vacation specials. It’s everything you need and more to make memories that you will always cherish.
Ready for the getaway of a lifetime? Book your next summer vacation at The Ashbrooke today!
Featured Image Credit: Magglet/Getty Images